The Culinary, Baking, and Pastry Arts program (CBPA) is an American Culinary Federation (ACF) certified program and a recognized training facility of the Federation of Dining Room Professionals (FDRP). It is a two-year program designed to allow students to experience all aspects of the culinary arts and restaurant industries.
Culinary students will:
- Receive on-the-job training in a full service restaurant
- Learn foundational skills to be employed in this fun, fast-paced profession
- Gain leadership skills
- Learn from industry respected professionals
- Experience comradery within the classroom and develop successful teamwork skills
- Have the opportunity to earn a variety of certificates
Do you have a passion for the culinary arts? Do you like to have fun? Then this is the class that will propel you to the next level of becoming a culinary professional!
Course Curriculum Focus:
Students choose from one of three tracks:
|ACF Baking Certification
Baking, planning and prep
Breads and desserts
|Dining Room Hospitality
Introduction to hospitality
Customer service management
Banquet and event services
Hosting and cashier services
Catering and event planning
|ACF Culinary Certification
Meat, poultry, and fish
Foundational food preparation
Breakfast and lunch preparation
Vegetables, salads & dressings
Soups, stocks, and sauces
Restaurant safety and sanitation
International cuisine preparation
- Have fun in class
- Earn 3 high school credits per year
- Opportunity to earn college credits
- High school credit equivalency (.5 health at the discretion of the sending school district)
- Competency Certificates
- Leadership opportunities
- Local employment opportunities
- Preparation for post-secondary education
- Volunteer opportunities
- Available industry certifications (see below)
After successful completions:
- American Culinary Federation Fundamentals Cook Certification*
- American Culinary Federation Fundamentals Pastry Cook Certification*
- Federation of Dining Room Professionals Apprentice Certification
- WA State Precision Certifications: 21st Century Skills; Event Planning & Management; Food Service & Culinary Arts
* ACF certification examinations are available to second year students that have met the ACF requirements.
- Students should indicate a career interest in Culinary, Baking, Hospitality, or Food Service Industries.
- Upon acceptance into the program, student and parent/guardian are required to attend the orientation at Cascadia Technical Academy.
- Professional attendance is essential for students.
- A Current Washington State Food Service permit is required.
- Application process for second year students requires successful completion of the first year with a “B” grade or higher and the program teachers’ recommendations.
- Possible enrollment in the American Culinary Federation Society
- Federation of Dining Room Professionals Society
Lab Time/Theory Time:
Approximately 40 percent of the time will be devoted to in-classroom theory and 60 percent to lab.
Textbook Reading Level:
Theory Material – 12.0+
- Sous Chef
- Baker/Pastry Chef
- Restaurant Manager
- Hospitality worker
Program Supply List / Student Costs:
Please plan ahead. Some programs require that uniforms, supplies, and other program specific related items be purchased or completed prior to the first day of school. To access the list for Culinary Year 1, please click here and for Culinary Year 2, please click here. Please use the school order code: CTA
Important: Food worker Card – Due by first day of class: If you are preparing or serving food, you are required to possess a food worker card. Please go to the website: www.foodworkercard.wa.gov/ for information on where and how to take the test and print your card.
Note: Family medical insurance or student accident insurance is a mandatory requirement to participate in internships. Student accident insurance is available through the sending high school.
If you have concerns regarding these expenses, please see Melissa Downing in our Student Service Center. There are funds available for qualifying students. Ms. Downing can be reached at 360-604-1062 or at Melissa.Downing@evergreenps.org. Ms. Downing is available during the school year when school is in session.