The Culinary, Baking, and Pastry Arts program (CBPA) is an American Culinary Federation (ACF) certified program and a recognized training facility of the Federation of Dining Room Professionals (FDRP). It is a two-year program designed to allow students to experience all aspects of the culinary arts and restaurant industries.
Culinary students will:
- Receive on-the-job training in a full service restaurant
- Learn foundational skills to be employed in this fun, fast-paced profession
- Gain leadership skills
- Learn from industry respected professionals
- Experience comradery within the classroom and develop successful teamwork skills
- Have the opportunity to earn a variety of certificates
Do you have a passion for the culinary arts? Do you like to have fun? Then this is the class that will propel you to the next level of becoming a culinary professional!
Course Curriculum Focus:
Students choose from one of three tracks:
Baking planning and prep
Breads and desserts
|Dining Room Hospitality
Introduction to hospitality
Customer service management
Banquet and event services
Hosting and cashier services
Catering and event planning
|ACF Culinary Certification
Meat, poultry, and fish
Foundational food preparation
Breakfast and lunch preparation
Vegetables, salads & dressings
Soups, stocks, and sauces
Restaurant safety and sanitation
International cuisine preparation
- Have fun in class
- Earn 3 high school credits per year
- Opportunity to earn college credits
- May qualify for math, history, health/PE, science, or language arts credits. Because these credits differ by home district, click on credit equivalencies to learn what is specifically offered for this program by your sending high school.
- Competency Certificates
- Leadership opportunities
- Local employment opportunities
- Preparation for post-secondary education
- Volunteer opportunities
- Available industry certifications (see below)
After successful completions:
- American Culinary Federation Certified Junior Pastry Culinarian, ACF – CJPC *
- American Culinary Federation Certified Junior Culinarian, ACF – CJC *
- Federation of Dining Room Professionals, FDRP
- 21st Century Skills Certification
* ACF certification examinations are available to second year students that have met the ACF requirements.
- Students should indicate a career interest in Culinary, Baking, Hospitality, or Food Service Industries.
- Upon acceptance into the program, student and parent/guardian are encouraged to participate in the orientation at Cascadia Technical Academy.
- Professional attendance is essential for students.
- A Current Washington State Food Service permit is required.
- Application process for second year students requires successful completion of the first year with a “B” grade or higher and the program teachers’ recommendations.
- Possible enrollment in the American Culinary Federation Society
- Federation of Dining Room Professionals Society
Lab Time/Theory Time:
Approximately 40 percent of the time will be devoted to in-classroom theory and 60 percent to lab.
Textbook Reading Level:
Theory Material – 12.0+
- Sous Chef
- Baker/Pastry Chef
- Restaurant Manager
- Hospitality worker
Program Supply List / Student Costs:
Please plan ahead. Some programs require that uniforms, supplies, and other program specific related items (such as immunizations, food service card, etc.) be purchased, started or completed prior to the first day of school. To access the list for this program’s uniform, supply and other program related costs please click here.
Food worker Card Information – Due by first day of class
If you are preparing or serving food, you are required to possess a food worker card. Please go to the website: www.foodworkercard.wa.gov/ for information on where and how to take the test and print your card.
Note: Student accident insurance is available through your sending high school.
If you have concerns regarding these expenses, please see Melissa Downing in our Student Service Center. There are funds available for qualifying students. Ms. Downing can be reached at 360-604-1050 ext. 2150 or at Melissa.Downing@evergreenps.org.