This is a two-year program available to juniors or seniors. Students should have an interest in engineering, architecture, drafting, design, robotics and computer controlled equipment.
Students will learn Mechanical and Architectural drafting, design, solid modeling, and CNC programming and Arduino basics. In addition, students explore various engineering disciplines and career choices. The course covers safety, employment and educational opportunities. It also includes current industry trends and developments. A strong emphasis is put on developing professional skills and responsibilities. A major portion of time will be spent in hands-on labs learning to operate the software, CNC lathe and mill machine tools and controls.
The classrooms consist of a networked computer lab, a robotics lab, a laser and 3D printer lab, and manufacturing machining lab. In the computer lab students learn computer aided drafting, design (CAD) and solid modeling. Students also learn how to create programs to run computer numerically controlled (CNC) machines. The manufacturing machining lab consists of a vinyl graphics cutter, laser engraver, 3D printer, drill press, band saw, metal band saw, three CNC mills, CNC lathe, robotic work cell, fluid system (hydraulic and pneumatic) trainer and a programmable logic controller (PLC).
- 3 High School credits
- Credits available through Clark College for SOLIDWORKS Drafting and Mastercam Drafting
- High school credit equivalency (1.0 program of study math, .5 art, and .5 lab science elective at the discretion of the sending school district)
- Competency Certificate
- Leadership opportunities through SkillsUSA
- Preparation for next level of education
- Opportunity for scholarships
- Opportunities for earning college credit with a grade of “B” or better
- SOLIDWORKS certification
- 21st Century Skills certification (WA State Precision exams)
- Engineering Principles 1 (WA State Precision exams)
- CAD Mechanical Design 1 (WA State Precision exams)
Pre-Engineering Design Technology I
- Reading proficiency at 10th grade level
- Must have successfully completed Algebra 1 or Integrated Math 1
- Excellent high school attendance record
Pre-Engineering Design Technology II
- Must pass 1st year program with a B grade or better to qualify for 2nd year; limited space available
- Must provide own health insurance to participate in internships
- Must provide own transportation to internship site and provide current car insurance
- Basic drafting, ArtStudio, manufacturing technology or metals classes are recommended
- Strong knowledge of keyboarding and computer skills recommended
Note: Upon acceptance into the program, student and parent/guardian are required to attend the orientation at Cascadia Technical Academy.
- Student leadership
- Regional, State, National Competitions
Lab Time/Theory Time:
Approximately 70 percent of the time is spent in an engineering lab environment and 30 percent is spent on lecture and theory.
Textbook Reading Level:
- Mechanical Drafter/Designer
- Architectural Drafter/Designer
- CAD Operator
- CNC Programmer
- CNC Operator
- Automation Robotics Engineer/Technician
- Mechanical Engineer/Technician
- Manufacturing Engineer/Technician
- Civil Engineer/Technician
Credit Equivalencies and College Credit:
Program Supply List / Student Costs:
Please plan ahead. Some programs require that uniforms, supplies, and other program specific related items be purchased or completed prior to the first day of school. To access the list for this program’s uniform, supply and other program related costs please click here.
Note: Family medical insurance or student accident insurance is a mandatory requirement to participate in internships. Student accident insurance is available through the sending high school.
If you have concerns regarding these expenses, please see Melissa Downing in our Student Service Center. There are funds available for qualifying students. Ms. Downing can be reached at 360-604-1062 or at Melissa.Downing@evergreenps.org. Ms. Downing is available during the school year when school is in session.